Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Experimentation time

Hi all,

I hope you had a great christmas and holiday period. I did. :)

I did a little painting while staying with a mate. Worked on my Ogre Kingdoms Ogres. Got a little bit done.

Last night I couldnt sleep so I sat down and decided to do a little bit of experimentation. I have been painting the same way since I started way back in 1994. Basecoat, wash and then drybrush. So last night I decided to have a go at layering. With the release of the new citadel paint range it makes it much easier to use this technique as there is a much wider range of colours so there is no need to mix colours.

I started out separating 20 savage orc sprues into different groups (bodies, arms, heads and weapons) and painting the arms first. I base coated the first 15 or so arms with goblin green and then washed them with a green wash. Then picked a slightly darker than goblin green shade of green and layered onto the raised areas of the muscle. Then with goblin green layered on a slightly smaller area of the muscle. I might put another wash over it as well just to blend in the edges. Although i also painted on some tattoos onto the arms as the savage orcs are generally covered in tattoos. lol

Ill take some pictures tonight when i get some more done and post them tomorrow.

Have fun. :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds interesting, though I'll have to wait to
    see the result to really understand what you
    have been doing.

    Should make for a good result though.

    We have had a great Christmas/New Year so glad you have too. x grannymus

    ReplyDelete